Author Topic: 29/04/15  (Read 3757 times)

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
29/04/15
« on: Wednesday, 29 April, 2015 @ 02:31:25 »
All cars must have tracking devices to cut road deaths, says EU
From 2018 every new car will contain a black box that automatically alerts the emergency services in the event of a crash

Tests have shown that the technology could reduce ambulance, police and fire brigade response times by as much as 60 per cent in cities and half in the countryside, potentially saving around 2,500 lives a year and reducing the severity of injuries suffered by thousands more.

However, privacy campaigners expressed concern over the protection of people's personal driving information, habits and locations from commercial companies such as insurers, as well as hackers with ulterior motives.

Robert Goodwill, the transport minister, said in the UK, where emergency response times are faster than some remote parts of Europe, road deaths would be reduced by just one per cent.

Research for the Department of Transport suggested 747 deaths every year would be prevented by 2033. But at a cost of between £320 million and £445 million, the UK would not reach "break-even point" within 20 years, "even using the best estimates of benefits in terms of reduced casualties".
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/road-and-rail-transport/11569453/All-cars-must-have-tracking-devices-to-cut-road-deaths-says-EU.html

Offline Bryan-in-Kilkis

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Deity
Re: 29/04/15
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, 29 April, 2015 @ 12:07:06 »
Interesting how financial "break-even point" is of more importance to Mr Badwill (sic) than saving some people's lives...  :oki:

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, 29 April, 2015 @ 12:30:15 »
Wife shields Greece's Varoufakis from anarchist attack at restaurant

A group of self-styled anarchists threw glass objects at Greek Finance Minister Yanis Varoufakis and his wife Danae at an Athens restaurant late on Tuesday, but she hugged him to shield him from the attack, the finance ministry said.

The couple had just finished having dinner with friends in the bohemian Exarchia district -- the site of frequent protests by left-wing protesters -- when the group entered the restaurant's courtyard, telling them to leave "their area".

Varoufakis was sidelined by Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras in a reshuffle of Greece's negotiating team with EU/IMF lenders on Monday after slow progress in talks over reforms to unlock aid.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/04/29/us-eurozone-greece-varoufakis-assault-idUSKBN0NK0JU20150429

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, 29 April, 2015 @ 12:53:49 »
The possibility that a new luxury tax or “holiday” tax could be introduced drew a strong reaction on Tuesday from the Association of Hellenic Tourism Enterprises (SETE), which instead proposed the adoption of a series of measures to bring revenues of 500 million euros into the state coffers.
http://www.ekathimerini.com/4dcgi/_w_articles_wsite2_1_28/04/2015_549543

Offline Aristarches

• Forum Deity
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, 29 April, 2015 @ 13:57:48 »
The possibility that a new luxury tax or “holiday” tax could be introduced drew a strong reaction on Tuesday from the Association of Hellenic Tourism Enterprises (SETE), which instead proposed the adoption of a series of measures to bring revenues of 500 million euros into the state coffers.
http://www.ekathimerini.com/4dcgi/_w_articles_wsite2_1_28/04/2015_549543

How about a beach bed and swimming pool tax?  10 euros per bed per hire and 1000 per week per guest for any accommodation that has a swimming pool.  And, just a thought, increase the tax on tobacco and cigarettes so that a packet of twenty costs at least what it does in the UK. 

That should bring in a good few bob for starters and it would have no effect on non smokers who don't use beach beds or swimming pools, ie me.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, 29 April, 2015 @ 14:08:00 by Aristarches »

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, 29 April, 2015 @ 14:27:18 »
It's the tourists buying 'cheap' cigs that keeps some periptera open. Make 'em the same price as the UK and Greece would almost certainly be financially worse, not better, off.

:hmm: I'm beginning to think you don't like sunbeds and swimming pools, Ari.

How about a tax on foreigners, Ari? Brits to be zero-rated, Germans...

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, 29 April, 2015 @ 14:28:36 »
Lawmakers from Greece's new left-wing government have voted to reinstate the country's public broadcaster, ERT, which was abruptly shut down two years ago as part of austerity measures.

Parliament voted early Wednesday to re-hire more than 1,500 ERT workers and incorporate a protest TV station operated online by fired employees.

In June 2013, ERT television and radio broadcasts were abruptly taken off the air by the previous conservative government. A new broadcaster was later opened, using fewer staff.

Greece had been under pressure from international lenders to swiftly reduce the size of its civil service in return for continued bailout loans.
http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2015/apr/29/greece-public-broadcaster-reinstated-by-new-govt/

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, 29 April, 2015 @ 14:32:39 »

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, 29 April, 2015 @ 15:36:56 »
Artificial lighting in harbours is attracting sea creatures that damage ships and boats, a study suggests.

Scientists believe that the night-time illumination is altering the behaviour of some animals that attach to vessels' hulls. Keel worms, for example, are lured in by the lights.

Other shade-loving animals were deterred by the brightness, seeking darker waters elsewhere.
http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-32500640

Probably not something you have to worry about too much if, say, you've got a yacht in Katelios fishing shelter.

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, 29 April, 2015 @ 15:40:46 »
Greece Sees Largest Decline in Press Freedom in the World

Greece’s press freedoms have been restricted dramatically in the past five years due to political interference, media monopolies and the country’s troubled economy, according to a new report from a democracy thinktank.

It points to political interference under the previous New Democracy government which was in power in 2014, relating to appointments and editorial decisions at the new state broadcaster, Nerit.

Other press freedom NGOs such as Reporters Without Borders (RSF) have echoed similar findings in their press freedom ratings. In 2014, RSF said Greece had fallen 50 places in the world rankings over the past five years.
http://www.newsweek.com/greece-sees-biggest-decline-press-freedom-world-report-326237?piano_d=1

Offline Jolly Roger

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, 29 April, 2015 @ 21:52:59 »
Artificial lighting in harbours is attracting sea creatures that damage ships and boats, a study suggests.

Scientists believe that the night-time illumination is altering the behaviour of some animals that attach to vessels' hulls. Keel worms, for example, are lured in by the lights.

Other shade-loving animals were deterred by the brightness, seeking darker waters elsewhere.
http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-32500640

Probably not something you have to worry about too much if, say, you've got a yacht in Katelios fishing shelter.

Keel worms were a big problem on the old wooden ships, but thankfully they do not like fibreglass!

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, 29 April, 2015 @ 22:51:41 »
It's the tourists buying 'cheap' cigs that keeps some periptera open. Make 'em the same price as the UK and Greece would almost certainly be financially worse, not better, off.

:pml:

Tony

Offline Aristarches

• Forum Deity
« Reply #12 on: Thursday, 30 April, 2015 @ 11:28:45 »

The suggestion about taxing cigarettes comes from that most sanctimonious of people, an ex-smoker.  However, I suspect that allowing other retail outlets to sell cigarettes will have a serious effect and lead to the closing of many of these, so called, war veterans perks.  And you are correct, I hate and detest beach beds and swimming pools.  The beds ruin what used to be beautiful beaches.  The swimming pools are, likewise, a blot on the landscape and will, if allowed to continue to proliferate, will cause long terms problems with  water supplies and the environment.  Perhaps they could get rid of all the beach beds and umbrellas but leave the swimming pools.  That way the riff raff will have somewhere to plonk their fat arses and the rest of us can enjoy pristine beaches.  All that would be needed is to stop smokers using beaches as bloody big ashtrays.  Hanging for litter louts would also be a good idea.  Oh, and death to all dog owners that allow their pets to foul wherever they feel like it.

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
« Reply #13 on: Thursday, 30 April, 2015 @ 21:18:19 »
Ari, you might like Paxos - sunloungers not allowed on the beach and there are very few pools - apart from the (many) private villas.  There aren't that many beaches for that matter!

Tony

Offline Aristarches

• Forum Deity
« Reply #14 on: Friday, 01 May, 2015 @ 11:44:16 »
Ari, you might like Paxos - sunloungers not allowed on the beach and there are very few pools - apart from the (many) private villas.  There aren't that many beaches for that matter!

Tony

Thanks for the info', Tony.  I am looking for an alternative to Katelios after all these years.  The only problem with Patras, I think, would be that it is far too big a town.  It would be a bit like Brum, too much traffic and full of foreigners.

Offline Ian_E

• Silver Medalist
« Reply #15 on: Friday, 01 May, 2015 @ 12:48:30 »
Thumbs up fro Paxos from me, lovely little place.

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
« Reply #16 on: Friday, 01 May, 2015 @ 19:57:21 »

Tony

Thanks for the info', Tony.  I am looking for an alternative to Katelios after all these years.  The only problem with Patras, I think, would be that it is far too big a town.  It would be a bit like Brum, too much traffic and full of foreigners.

Yup I find that with Greece generally - too many bloody foreigners!!  ;)

And er... that was Paxos!

Tony

Offline Aristarches

• Forum Deity
« Reply #17 on: Friday, 01 May, 2015 @ 23:57:05 »

Tony

Yup I find that with Greece generally - too many bloody foreigners!!  ;)

And er... that was Paxos!

Tony

I am, of course, going senile.  I have been to Paxos.  We stayed in Lakka which was very nice.  There were no beach beds there because the beach, as it was called, was a mass of jagged boulders from the sixe of a house brick to the size of a small car.   The only problem was the flotillas that came out of Corfu and spent their first night moored in Lakka.  They were invariably a bunch of loud mouthed hooray henrys who before departing next morning emptied their toilets and dropped their rubbish into the harbour despite their being many signs asking them not to.  It made swimming a health risk.  Always put me off going back.