Author Topic: One of the best coastal drives in the world?  (Read 7001 times)

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
One of the best coastal drives in the world?
« on: Thursday, 17 October, 2019 @ 14:30:47 »
Agia Effimia-Karavomylos Road is a very scenic coastal road located on the east coast of the island of Kefalonia (Cephalonia) in Greece. It's one of the best coastal drives in the world.
https://www.dangerousroads.org/europe/greece.html

:hmm:

Offline expat

• Forum Deity
Re: One of the best coastal drives in the world?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, 17 October, 2019 @ 15:15:39 »
[quoteAgia Effimia-Karavomylos Road is a very scenic coastal road located on the east coast of the island of Kefalonia (Cephalonia) in Greece. It's one of the best coastal drives in the world.][/quote]
It was not very scenic a few years ago when a quad bike went over the edge! the woman's thigh bones were very visible :)
I think a very nice road to drive is the road from Sami to Poros, i would describe it as very scenic, so is the coast road from Fiskardo to Agia Efimia, spectacular views over Ithaka.

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #2 on: Friday, 18 October, 2019 @ 12:51:47 »
Quite agree, the Poros-Sami road is a lovely drive, as is the east cost route up to the north of the island with awesome views over Ithaka. The main west coast route... I find it a bit of a challenge - stunning views but you really have to watch the twists and turns in the road (and the little rock falls).

Drive around the lagoon from Argostoli to Lixouri is also quite pleasant. Come to think of it, the drive from Poros to Katelios, via Skala, is quite nice, too.

Offline Misty

• Forum Deity
« Reply #3 on: Friday, 18 October, 2019 @ 16:50:28 »
Totally agree re the drive from Poros to Katelios via Skala. I love the part in Skala by the boulders/rocks in the sea. During an island coach trip I went on to Ithaka the tour rep was very keen on Greek mythology and said that the rocks were thrown into the sea by Cyclops to deter Odysseus from returning. I always smile when I see them but look up just incase the Cyclops have returned.  :)

Offline Colleywobble

• Forum Deity
« Reply #4 on: Friday, 18 October, 2019 @ 17:41:23 »
Lovely drive from Skala to Poros and as you say the lovely beach by the rocks. Spent many a day on there with a BBQ. My favourite is the drive from Poros to Sami. When you come over the top and the view out over the bay is breath taking. Rather nice to stop for a coffee and a piece of cake at the little garden café just after St Nicholas on the bend. The lady was lovely and just getting set up with her coffee shop. Some years ago so hope she managed to make a go of it? Would love a house built with that view. Oh well you can but dream!!!

Offline Annie P

• Participant
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, 19 October, 2019 @ 08:13:39 »
Also love the Katelios to Poros coast road via Skala. We often do this in the evening when we are there and stop by the 'mushroom beach'. Yes the lady with the coffee shop and cake is there on the bend by St Nicholas. She is getting quite well known.
« Last Edit: Saturday, 19 October, 2019 @ 08:15:59 by Annie P »

Offline TonyD

• Forum Deity
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, 19 October, 2019 @ 11:20:15 »
Is that the house with the sign "stop here for the best apple pie in Kefalonia, baked by Helen"

Offline expat

• Forum Deity
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, 19 October, 2019 @ 12:18:08 »
Yes!

Offline Colleywobble

• Forum Deity
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, 19 October, 2019 @ 15:05:28 »
So pleased she is still there and getting established.Think she was trying to make some money to do the little house up.Five years ago she was getting Post Cards sent back to her from Uk from people who had stopped by for a coffee.Nice to hear she is still going strong.

Offline U4ea

• Forum Deity
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, 20 October, 2019 @ 01:06:50 »
People are now taking out tea towels from their local town for Helen, she's got quite a collection behind the counter.

Offline Misty

• Forum Deity
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, 20 October, 2019 @ 12:13:47 »
People are now taking out tea towels from their local town for Helen, she's got quite a collection behind the counter.

Wonder if I could find one from "little Greece" in North London.  ;)

Offline Cheshirechick

• Participant
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, 22 October, 2019 @ 18:48:23 »
Let's face it Guys all the road trips we take in Kef are wonderful from the beautiful scenery and views to the querky roundabouts as you enter Argostoli, even rush hour in Argostoli is a delight and we have never experienced any road rage even though the locals must be heartily sick of us tourists clogging up their city.