Author Topic: Death of the periptero  (Read 2157 times)

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
Death of the periptero
« on: Sunday, 11 October, 2020 @ 13:05:55 »
Virus-hit Athens kiosk owners fear for their future

Only about half of Greece’s periptera, the little kiosks selling beer, cigarettes, and newspapers in town squares across the country, survived the economic crisis.

Now, those still standing face a fresh threat, from the coronavirus pandemic — and adding masks and gels to their inventory might not be enough to see them through.

A feature of the urban landscape and social life since 1911, many went out of business during the financial crisis that devastated the country between 2010 and 2018.

“During the financial crisis, out of 11,000 kiosks all over Greece, just 5,500 remained, 500 among them in Athens,” said Theodoros Mallios, the president of the kiosk owners union in Athens.

“These last months, I see more of them shutting down,” he added.

Pensioner Dimitris Katsigiannis, 70, goes every morning to buy his newspaper at the kiosk, or just to chat with its owner.

“It’s a meeting point as much as the cafe,” he explained.

“During the 60s, when we didn’t have landlines in our homes, we came here to make our phone calls.

“Also, we would come to buy our newspapers — and candies for the children on Sundays.   

“And now at my age, living alone, coming to the periptero is my daily walk, a way to have a break from my loneliness,” he added.

He cannot imagine his favorite place shutting down, he said.

“It would be dramatic. The whole neighborhood would lose its soul!”
https://newsinfo.inquirer.net/1346336/virus-hit-athens-kiosk-owners-fear-for-their-future

:(