Author Topic: Death of the periptera  (Read 5551 times)

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
Death of the periptera
« on: Friday, 11 April, 2014 @ 11:20:57 »
The renowned Greek kiosks (periptera) will soon become extinct due to the implementation of the new multi-bill by the Greek government.

According to a provision of the new multi-bill when a kiosk closes or its owner dies, the operating license of the kiosk can no longer be transferred to anyone. This decision has caused intense reactions, especially among SYRIZA members, as this provision will lead to the extinction of the traditional small city businesses.

Greek citizens also expressed their opinion on the matter via various social networks. The majority of them were surprised by the decision, while others expressed their strong disagreement and concern for the future of the kiosk businesses.
http://greece.greekreporter.com/2014/04/11/greek-kiosks-becoming-extinct/

Offline Maarm

• Forum Hero
Re: Death of the periptera
« Reply #1 on: Friday, 11 April, 2014 @ 13:46:52 »
I honestly (quite incorrectly I now find) thought that these were kept in the family like a market stall, taken over by a member of the family once the owner decided to retire.

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #2 on: Friday, 11 April, 2014 @ 17:00:53 »
I *think* you're pretty much correct there, in that was often the case.

I really can't understand what the government (i.e. the troika) is doing with this. On the one hand they want to reduce smoking but on the other hand supermarkets will be able to sell cigs (so I understand).

Greece won't be the same without periptera!  :rant:

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
« Reply #3 on: Friday, 11 April, 2014 @ 17:49:17 »
Can't say I've used them much but I can see they could be handy, though no longer for the metered phone, I suspect  :lol: .  I think the reason is because they are effectively "closed entry" and therefore (?) anti-competitive.

Tony

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #4 on: Friday, 11 April, 2014 @ 18:55:30 »
Not sure I can figure that one out. Possibly the GreekReporter article isn't entirely accurate but Greece has many closed professions and they aren't being, in effect, closed down.