Author Topic: Skala main street  (Read 187738 times)

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
Re: Skala main street
« Reply #100 on: Sunday, 04 May, 2014 @ 17:19:29 »
Around 15:00 today:

Have a look at the piccie (above) of the new footpath between Tesoro Blu and Aeolos, well, up by George Studios is another new footpath - except it's about half the width. If we can train the cats and chickens to walk on it... it might be some use.

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
« Reply #101 on: Sunday, 04 May, 2014 @ 18:23:08 »
Give the main street about another month and it might be ready!  :oki:

Tony

Offline Phil

• Silver Medalist
« Reply #102 on: Sunday, 04 May, 2014 @ 20:14:53 »
That looks a novel way of laying paving blocks or setts. BUT, it does have the authentic Greek uneven look about it.
Skala wouldn't be the same if it didn't have uneven pavements, potholes in the road and H & S issues to trap the unwary tourist.

Note to female tourists: don't pack your stiletto heeled shoes unless they can fit in your handbag whilst you walk in flatties to your taverna destination. (I hope that didn't sound sexist - it wasn't intended to)

Offline Jolly Roger

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #103 on: Sunday, 04 May, 2014 @ 20:18:14 »
Ever wondered why the pavements were made so high in Skala? It's because when it rains hard, it doesn't run in to all the shops. Sometimes it can be like a river flowing downhill, so if it is all on the same level, I hope Alison remembers her waders!

Offline Phil

• Silver Medalist
« Reply #104 on: Sunday, 04 May, 2014 @ 20:19:28 »
Give the main street about another month and it might be ready!  :oki:

Tony

No chance Tony. I reckon it is all a political game to keep us tourists coming to view the *new High Street*. The High Street, as you will be aware, is new every year - but always the same. That is probably why people keep coming back?

Offline jed.w

• Participant
« Reply #105 on: Sunday, 04 May, 2014 @ 20:43:03 »
I believe that they are building the set for Hugh's Kefalonia Street.  Starts filming at the start of June!  :yahoo:

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #106 on: Sunday, 04 May, 2014 @ 20:48:37 »
it does have the authentic Greek uneven look about it.

Doesn't it just! Looks like it was laid 2,000 years ago and endured some earth movement in between  :)

Agree with the other comments... can't see it being finished in a month, though  :oki:

Hm, how about a poll on how long before the first sprained ankle / broken leg?

Offline Colleywobble

• Forum Deity
« Reply #107 on: Sunday, 04 May, 2014 @ 22:22:07 »
Reckon it could be within the next week and it could be the Thomson rep!!When they did the sewers the Thomson rep had only been out a week and she fell down a hole and had to be flown home with a broken leg. As mentioned I do hope there are no flash floods for the next ten years say ,so that it gives them time to get it done. The "Gentle curve" of the blocks remind me of the time the white line man came to mark the street after it had been tarmacked (some years ago)As most of the street was filled with parked cars the lorry had to meander from side to side around the parked cars. The finished effect  was SOMETHING!! to behold. A snake like line stretched all the way up the high street .Words fail me !!!This is in a country who produced Pythagoras.

Offline BeeTee

• Forum Deity
« Reply #108 on: Sunday, 04 May, 2014 @ 22:47:51 »
Just a thought. Maybe Luke could use the road as a backdrop for one of his films. Just imagine it, an unfinished road, poor lighting, people disappearing down holes, cries for help. Oh well, just a thought.     

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
« Reply #109 on: Monday, 05 May, 2014 @ 19:16:58 »
Actually looking closer at the setts they've been laid on a layer of concrete, possibly 3 inches thick, certainly no more than 4.  Depending on what's under the concrete it will be interesting to see how quickly it cracks!  And Roger is very right about the pavement height and the potential for some serious flooding.  Unless of course there is now sufficient surface water drainage.

Tony

Offline Phil

• Silver Medalist
« Reply #110 on: Tuesday, 06 May, 2014 @ 01:53:11 »
I have a cunning plan for a potential business opportunity:

Import thousands of hessian sacks from China. Fill them for free with sand from the beach........... store them at the top of the village and keep a careful eye on the weather forecast in readiness for a rush of cash buyers.

But there might be more profit to be made form stocking wellington boots?

(.... the usual tongue in cheek disclaimer applies). 

Offline Phil

• Silver Medalist
« Reply #111 on: Tuesday, 06 May, 2014 @ 02:19:35 »
Actually looking closer at the setts they've been laid on a layer of concrete, possibly 3 inches thick, certainly no more than 4.  Depending on what's under the concrete it will be interesting to see how quickly it cracks!  And Roger is very right about the pavement height and the potential for some serious flooding.  Unless of course there is now sufficient surface water drainage.

Tony

My bet is 2½ inches maximum.

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #112 on: Friday, 09 May, 2014 @ 06:41:57 »
The lads are cracking on:

Wouldn't fancy riding a two-wheeled vehicle down there. Wonder what the grip is like in the wet?
« Last Edit: Friday, 09 May, 2014 @ 06:43:44 by Maik »

Offline Bluenose

• Forum Deity
« Reply #113 on: Saturday, 17 May, 2014 @ 11:55:18 »
Wots the word on the street man ! Just wondering how our heroes are getting on and the effect on tourists and businesses alike. Has much happened ?

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #114 on: Saturday, 17 May, 2014 @ 19:16:49 »
Don't think the cobbles have progressed much up the main street but the side bits look to have been cobbled and a layer of cement applied between the cobbles to about half height. Don't think anyone has broken a limb yet, not much business beyond the cig kiosk to be affected. Currently working in lovely :hmm: Lassi t.f.n. but I'll try to grab a piccie.

Offline Bluenose

• Forum Deity
« Reply #115 on: Saturday, 17 May, 2014 @ 21:03:24 »
Good lad. Look forward to the update. Fight the good fight in Lassi it'll all be over soon !

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
« Reply #116 on: Saturday, 17 May, 2014 @ 23:41:31 »
Good lad. Look forward to the update. Fight the good fight in Lassi it'll all be over soon !

:pml: :pml: :pml:

Sorry Maik!!

Tony

Offline 69Bonnie

• Forum Fan
« Reply #117 on: Tuesday, 20 May, 2014 @ 09:51:35 »
Here is a link to how those cobbles turned out in Kalkan.
http://kalkan.turkishlocalnews.com/portal/kalkan-news/360954-a-ktln-photo-special-kalkan-is-ready-to-welcome-you
Finished before the tourists arrived!

Offline Bluenose

• Forum Deity
« Reply #118 on: Tuesday, 20 May, 2014 @ 22:37:42 »
http://kalkan.turkishlocalnews.com/portal/kalkan-news/360954-a-ktln-photo-special-kalkan-is-ready-to-welcome-you
Looks a nice place.Let's hope the guy's can complete as good a job in Skala !

Offline jed.w

• Participant
« Reply #119 on: Wednesday, 21 May, 2014 @ 13:47:01 »
Looks a nice place.Let's hope the guy's can complete as good a job in Skala !

LOL!

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #120 on: Wednesday, 21 May, 2014 @ 16:49:27 »
Skala main street earlier this afternoon:

Looking OK (IMO)

Offline Bluenose

• Forum Deity
« Reply #121 on: Wednesday, 21 May, 2014 @ 18:37:39 »
Yep I'll go along with that. Just happy that it's not gonna turn into a total dog's a--e ! Just a bit of a shame it couldn't have been completed before the season started.Hope the locals feel a little better about the look of the project. The new traffic regs may be a different story altogether !

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
« Reply #122 on: Thursday, 22 May, 2014 @ 19:31:30 »
It is beginning (just!) to look like it's getting somewhere.  Think it looks better in the pics we had of Turkey where the road was much narrower, but the edging and shaping are quite good in Skala.  Seems there's some drainage from one of Maik's helpful pics:

But what are the big round things - tourist traps??!

Tony

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #123 on: Thursday, 22 May, 2014 @ 22:28:58 »

:lol:

Methinks they be the planters. Look like bits of left over drainage pipes to me, probably cost peanuts.

Offline BeeTee

• Forum Deity
« Reply #124 on: Friday, 23 May, 2014 @ 08:47:50 »

:lol:

Methinks they be the planters. Look like bits of left over drainage pipes to me, probably cost peanuts.

Nah.... They are giant ashtrays