Author Topic: Skala main street  (Read 187732 times)

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
Re: Skala main street
« Reply #75 on: Monday, 07 April, 2014 @ 16:20:20 »
Concrete creeping up Skala main street today towards the top end:

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
« Reply #76 on: Monday, 07 April, 2014 @ 17:53:04 »
Found the blocks.
Earlier today

In Kalkan Turkey!

:rofl:

Er.... Not a job I'd fancy doing but if I were to do it I wouldn't have the blocks dumped over the area I was planning to lay them on - seems more like a Greek idea.......  :doh: .  I have them put to one side and before anyone says that would block (ahem!) a fairly narrow road you're going to have to move them there anyway as you go along. 

Tony

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #77 on: Thursday, 10 April, 2014 @ 19:14:16 »
Didn't get much of a look at the roadworks as Mary whizzed past but certainly not cemented up to the top crossroads yet.

Looks like Skala beach clean is done, really looks quite luscious.

Offline Maarm

• Forum Hero
« Reply #78 on: Friday, 11 April, 2014 @ 11:10:25 »
Looks like Skala beach clean is done, really looks quite luscious

wish I was there to see it  :(

picture?  ;)

Offline AlisonSkala

• Participant
« Reply #79 on: Friday, 11 April, 2014 @ 23:28:57 »
Today they dumpt several large trucks full of cobbles and sand on Skala main street. It will be interesting to see how long it takes them to do something with them. Luckily for me they are starting at the bottom so the road outside my shop should get done first. One problem I've had is worth mentioning. I have a drain pipe from the balcony above the shop coming through the tented part which emptied into the gutter. Now we have no gutter and my drain pipe has been blocked!! On mentioning this to the civil engineer for the job he stated that this had happened in several cases and it was down to me to 're-route' the pipe! My other half had to be held back!

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #80 on: Saturday, 12 April, 2014 @ 01:57:31 »
Roy had somewhere in mind where he'd like to shove the drainpipe?

Got any leopard skin thongs in stock? Just in case APB needs one...

Offline AlisonSkala

• Participant
« Reply #81 on: Saturday, 12 April, 2014 @ 08:44:45 »
No, no leopard skin thongs, my retinas couldn't take it!

Offline APB

• Participant
« Reply #82 on: Sunday, 13 April, 2014 @ 11:22:21 »
Is there a Greek word for "planning"?

In my experience this happens every year. Just as all owners have finished cleaning and painting the front of their premises ready for the start of the season some tosspot "engineer" decides to commence  the work they should started 6 months ago. They start it, leave a mess, then buggar off leaving you with sh*t everywhere and the worry of whether it ever be finished.

Alison  you should really get some of these in....  :wacko:

http://www.internationaljock.com/male-power-leopard-skin-wonder-thong,9556.html

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
« Reply #83 on: Sunday, 13 April, 2014 @ 23:10:58 »
Yup, that's Greek planning.  Down to a fine art in Skala now after several years of practice.  Should put them in line for the "PIGS" (remember them?!) Planning Trophy for the current season. 

In the UK public authorities often have a very different approach - they go in for "forward planning", which I always feel is the best kind.   ;)

Tony

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #84 on: Monday, 14 April, 2014 @ 02:12:33 »
Some piccies taken yesterday: concrete now laid to top junction on main street, sand and gravel being laid in the side areas not concreted, blocks look little like anything I can see in the original image (see first pic, below) but a lot like the blocks 69Bonnie came acros in Kalkan. Wonder how much the finished(?) works will resemble the original image  :hmm:

Sorry, Maarm, bit cloudy yesterday, didn't do the beach justice.

Alison, you really shouldn't get a supply of those in...

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #85 on: Tuesday, 15 April, 2014 @ 18:58:11 »
Little obvious change to Skala main street but the 5cm x 1m trench from Spileo to Poros has been surfaced in various stretches, still single lane with passing in places.

Offline 69Bonnie

• Forum Fan
« Reply #86 on: Friday, 25 April, 2014 @ 17:53:38 »
The baker told me today the contractor has stopped work until he receives payment for works so far.
Apparently there is an issue with the EU grant funding.

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #87 on: Friday, 25 April, 2014 @ 18:25:06 »
Thanks, Bonny, Mary will be relieved to hear that. Haven't seen much sign of activity for the past week or so when we've been passing through.

I thought maybe they had a mate in Poros who warned them when Mary was heading their way.

Offline dog tag

• Participant
« Reply #88 on: Monday, 28 April, 2014 @ 22:35:13 »
lol :yiamas:

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #89 on: Tuesday, 29 April, 2014 @ 16:27:25 »
Traffic jam on the Poros - Skala road (drainage ditch almost all surfaced):

Skala beach. Can't really see but, in the distance, the brollies and beds are coming out:

New footpath, from Tesoro Blu (almost) to Aeolos:

Skala main street - yes, work on block pathing the road has started!!!

Outside Alison's shop... methinks one happy bunny  :bun1:

Offline Cheshirechick

• Participant
« Reply #90 on: Tuesday, 29 April, 2014 @ 17:26:27 »
I dont think I'll be packing my best shoes to wear in June just yet!  :lol: :yiasou:

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
« Reply #91 on: Tuesday, 29 April, 2014 @ 17:29:34 »
I dont think I'll be packing my best shoes to wear in June just yet!  :lol: :yiasou:

Stilettos never likely to be much good with that incline!

Tony

Offline Cheshirechick

• Participant
« Reply #92 on: Tuesday, 29 April, 2014 @ 17:32:49 »
and here was me blaming the ouzo! :yiamas:

Offline Maarm

• Forum Hero
« Reply #93 on: Tuesday, 29 April, 2014 @ 18:04:26 »
I reckon plenty of Ouzo would help you follow the "straight" line of paving  - they're not going to finish that before the first packages arrive on Thursday are they?

:flyer:

Offline Colleywobble

• Forum Deity
« Reply #94 on: Tuesday, 29 April, 2014 @ 21:53:32 »
Never seen such a diabolical mess. Who is in charge in Skala? Haven't  they got a Mayor and a local council who could have done far more to keep up with this fiasco? What a sight to greet all the visitors who have paid good money to expect more than a construction site on their holidays, especially on the main drag where everyone will be going to eat in the evenings. I feel very sad and yes quite angry that people are not prepared to show more effort into showcasing a lovely village, yet expect people to come and spend their hard earned  money in the village. Next thing the locals will all be complaining that the tourists aren't coming any more. Not much wonder!!It's for sure that Thomsons and Thomas Cook will not forewarn their customers that there are any problems, they have a code of silence. We found this when we came the year of the fire landing at the airport not being told that the previous evening all the tourist had been evacuated to Poros. Again the year that the sewers had been dug up and were still being filled in, 12foot deep holes in the roads after having all winter to get the work done. Come on locals get your act together or else you will loose all your customers and they may never return!!!!

Offline APB

• Participant
« Reply #95 on: Wednesday, 30 April, 2014 @ 00:20:40 »
Looking at the latest photos and comparing them against the original artists impression, it appears that a full pedestrianisation is not taking place but simply an extending of the pavements. This still leaves the issue of traffic which I suppose will be re routed by the pathetic barriers that seem to disappear at some point each season ( I know who it is and I have shaken his hand in thanks ). The new pavements look much safer than the previous shiny crazy paving but is not what was promised. Then again, what do you expect?  I have said before, I am glad to be out of it.

:btd:

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #96 on: Wednesday, 30 April, 2014 @ 00:40:40 »
Come on locals get your act together

Come the elections they'll probably vote for the usual suspects.

Looks so far as though the original pavements are staying in place (unlike in artist's impression). Will surely spoil the overall look when (er, if) it's finished.

Then again, what do you expect? 

:schtum:

Offline 69Bonnie

• Forum Fan
« Reply #97 on: Thursday, 01 May, 2014 @ 18:19:53 »
It's because of the elections that work has restarted!
Bit more progress but cannot figure out how to post pics from my mobile!!!

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #98 on: Thursday, 01 May, 2014 @ 20:47:44 »
Road paved (bricked?) about half the road width for approx. one shop length roughly (appropriate word) outside Alison's shop (i.e. opp periptero). Let's hope a lot gets laid before the elections  :pray:

(...and before someone breaks their leg)  :iroll:

Offline AlisonSkala

• Participant
« Reply #99 on: Friday, 02 May, 2014 @ 00:12:16 »
I am dreading what they are going to do on the pavement, they say it will be cobbles right to the edge of my shop, which will be higher than the internal tiles. I am hoping some free t shirts might ensure a reasonable job but am resigned to what I will get. Not much I can do anyway. Just would recommend all you ladies that like to wear high heels to leave them at home you are liable to break your shoes or worse. :oki: