Author Topic: 18/11/18  (Read 1626 times)

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
18/11/18
« on: Sunday, 18 November, 2018 @ 11:01:46 »
BBC sticks to atheist and humanist ban on Thought for the Day

The BBC has refused to broaden its longstanding Radio 4 Thought for the Day slot to include contributions from atheists and humanists.

It comes despite the editor of the Today Programme having previously written in favour of broadening its contributors to include non-religious groups.

The British Humanist Association (BHA) is campaigning, along with other groups, for the three minute slot to include contributions from those who do not align themselves to any faith or believe in a deity.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/11/17/bbc-sticks-atheist-humanist-ban-thought-day/

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
Re: 18/11/18
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, 18 November, 2018 @ 11:05:46 »
Straight back, bent knees advice is wrong, study finds

“Keep your back straight, bend your knees”.

Whether at home, in the factory or in the office, it is the advice invariably issued to anyone preparing to lift a heavy object.

However, a group of scientists have called for a review of health and safety guidelines after claiming the technique is based on scant reliable evidence - and may even be inferior to a bent-back approach.

People with significant pain are advised to keep moving, avoid languishing in bed and not to be put off lifting things.

Last year’s The Global Burden of Disease analysis found that low back pain is the leading cause of disability in almost all high-income countries as well as central and eastern Europe.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/11/17/straight-back-bent-knees-advice-wrong-study-finds/

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, 18 November, 2018 @ 15:15:34 »
Heard Iliovasilema (Sunset) Taverna above Poros port is up for sale/rent. Wonder what Voula will do? Have some great memories... those were the days, my friend

https://youtu.be/UhA8tCRDv9Y?t=1

« Last Edit: Sunday, 18 November, 2018 @ 15:17:14 by Maik »

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, 18 November, 2018 @ 21:50:45 »
'Indiana Jones of art' finds stolen Cyprus mosaic

The man nicknamed "the Indiana Jones of the art world" has done it again - this time tracking down a precious sixth-Century mosaic stolen from Cyprus.

Finding the 1,600-year-old piece in a flat in Monaco had felt very special, Dutchman Arthur Brand said.

He handed the work over to the Cypriot embassy in The Hague on Friday.

Mr Brand has achieved fame recovering stolen artwork since 2015 when he found Hitler's Horses - two Nazi statues that stood outside Hitler's office.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-46252520

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
« Reply #4 on: Monday, 19 November, 2018 @ 17:41:42 »
Great vids above, Maik. Tell us more about Voula.

Tony

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, 20 November, 2018 @ 21:39:41 »
All a bit of a blur, Tony.

Pretty much seems that each rural village has been settled by a handful of families for generations, 'everyone' has one of four or five family names / surnames common to the village and, regarding the sale, I gather a family dispute is involved. Hopefully it will be settled amicably and quickly.

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, 22 November, 2018 @ 00:21:35 »
I was wondering who she was. Retired singer... or taverna owner who got noticed... or...?

Tony

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, 22 November, 2018 @ 02:53:10 »
Voula works/worked as a waitress at the family taverna - I think this old chap by the oven in the garden is her dad:

Towards the end of the evening she'd get her guitar out and sing. Very popular with visitors, if not with rival taverna owners and their families! In the winter Voula would sometimes go and work elsewhere, e.g. one of the ski slope tavernas or abroad. I think she's released at least three CDs, possibly self-financed and sold mainly from the taverna. The first was mainly cover versions, the second mainly songs she'd written herself. I think she was hoping to 'make it' as a singer but found the music industry rather deceitful. Here's a song about her brother from her latest (?) CD, released early 2017.

https://youtu.be/XHhNBZ7aiXE?t=1

Winter nights by the log fire at Sunset - definitely one of the things we miss.

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, 22 November, 2018 @ 19:40:27 »
Very interesting story, Maik. She's got a great voice and some knockout songs. Can see why you miss the Sunset Taverna. Her dad has a particularly fine set of Greek moustachios - it's been along time since I've seen any so good.

Tony