Author Topic: 18/08/19  (Read 2482 times)

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
18/08/19
« on: Sunday, 18 August, 2019 @ 02:41:51 »
‘Beast of Kavos’ rapist who preyed on British girls set free 43 years early
A SERIAL rapist dubbed “the Beast of Kavos” is again roaming the streets of the Greek holiday resort after being freed from jail 43 years early. Dimitris Aspiotis, 47, was jailed for 52 years in 2012 over a string of sex attacks on British tourists and holiday reps.
https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1166977/beast-of-kavos-rapist-british-tourists-early-release-prison-greece

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
Re: 18/08/19
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, 18 August, 2019 @ 02:48:02 »
Raising pension age to 75 would create £182bn boost for British economy, report claims

The pension age has remained unchanged for more than a century, when the average life expectancy was 50 years, meaning a growing portion of the population are reaching retirement.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/08/17/raising-pension-age-75-would-create-182bn-boost-british-economy/

Offline disco69

• Gold Medalist
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, 18 August, 2019 @ 09:49:53 »
Raising pension age to 75 would create £182bn boost for British economy, report claims

The pension age has remained unchanged for more than a century, when the average life expectancy was 50 years, meaning a growing portion of the population are reaching retirement.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/08/17/raising-pension-age-75-would-create-182bn-boost-british-economy/

Instead of increasing pension age , lets reduce the population, too many of us on a small Island that canot support it's inhabitants. imho

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, 18 August, 2019 @ 10:44:11 »
Tsunami warning signs ‘terrorise’ tourists on Greek island

Newly installed electronic tsunami alert signs on the island of Kos have come under fire by the president of Kos’ hoteliers union Dina Svynou, claiming the signs  are “terrorizing” tourists and should be immediately removed.
https://greekcitytimes.com/2019/08/17/tsunami-warning-signs-terrorise-tourists-greek-island/

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, 18 August, 2019 @ 10:56:23 »
UK elderly suffer worst poverty rate in western Europe
Britain’s low basic pension, combined with means-tested supplements, puts thousands of older people at risk
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/aug/18/elderly-poverty-risen-fivefold-since-80s-pensions

Offline Misty

• Forum Deity
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, 18 August, 2019 @ 12:29:42 »

"Pension age unchanged" where does that come from? My pension age has gone up several times from age 60 to 66 despite having worked full time from 16 years old which would be at least 5 years earlier than the media studies university gang.

Offline TonyD

• Forum Deity
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, 18 August, 2019 @ 12:53:47 »

"Pension age unchanged" where does that come from? My pension age has gone up several times from age 60 to 66 despite having worked full time from 16 years old which would be at least 5 years earlier than the media studies university gang.

Good point.

Most of us worked from 16 and rarely later than 18 when NI started being paid
What age do most start paying their due these days? 21, 23, 25? - often with the ubiquitous Gap year at each end of Uni too
In which case, raising the pension age to at least 72 is a no-brainer, to maintain the current 50yrs In Work, Paying NI

One also has to remember far fewer people retire, physically worn out, with hands, knees, backs and respiratory systems completely k*******d from proper hard, damaging, work these days.
Not so long ago there were industries where people were lucky if they made it to retirement age!

Perhaps it was better when University was the preserve of the academically gifted, those capable of making the most of a world class learning resource, and not just the student bar.

Offline Alan

• Bronze Medalist
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, 18 August, 2019 @ 14:49:21 »
On the other hand...

The cost of those youngsters deferring the start of their careers isn't picked up by you and me, but by their families, plus their own minimum wage/zero hours jobs.

Also, although we do have longer lives due to improved public health, developments in medicine, and better nutrition, as well as (thank goodness) more safety at work, does this mean we can work until 75?

What I see is the relentless pursuit of efficiency, global markets , and austerity draining employment from the country, and those jobs left are rarely suitable for or made available to the elderly.

You could argue that today's youth can no longer look forward to free university education and jobs for life, and will be left to deal with the demographic timebomb of a rapidly ageing population.

Someone may be to blame for the country's decline, but I don't think its the kids.   

Offline TonyD

• Forum Deity
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, 18 August, 2019 @ 16:30:29 »
No attempt to blame today's youngsters for a pension situation, nor suggesting society was picking up the costs of their extended education.
My point was increasing state pension age is neither unreasonable, nor unfair.
It's a logical adjustment that takes into account workers later entry into NI payments, effectively retaining the status quo of 50ish working yrs

Unlike the position imposed upon those women who'd been led to believe they would receive their state pension at 60 of course.
But that's a different conversation.

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, 18 August, 2019 @ 17:16:44 »
Nice idea that we can all go on working until we're _____ (insert random number here). Some people still do physical work and digging holes, laying driveways, etc ain't so much fun when you're over fifty. Office based is different but then you have to contend with new technology. A mate of mine was in the print when new technology was introduced. It went from being a job he loved to a job he dreaded because he couldn't work the computerised machinery.

We might be able to work into older old age - if your job hasn't been made obsolete by new technology - but employers mostly won't look at you if you're older than 40 - and even then you're lucky.

Kids now start life with millstones around their necks so that the jobless figures can be kept low.

Offline expat

• Forum Deity
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, 18 August, 2019 @ 20:29:26 »
There is a different way of looking at the pension situation, it has always been considered or assumed that there was an age difference in couples who get married, the norm used to be an age difference of 5 years, so when the male was 65 and retired, the woman would be 60, they would both receive their pension and live happily ever after, this is not the case now, the main losers have been the women, who have lost out, because the pension age has been increased, there are still actions going on to try to redress the fact that women have lost out, it is still ongoing, hopefully the women will be backdated, but i doubt it!   

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
« Reply #11 on: Sunday, 18 August, 2019 @ 22:05:35 »

Instead of increasing pension age , lets reduce the population, too many of us on a small Island that canot support it's inhabitants. imho
Given that younger immigrants will increasingly pay pensions for older Brits I was wondering if you were suggesting something a bit... drastic?!  :blink:

Tony
PS I'll get my tin hat!

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #12 on: Sunday, 18 August, 2019 @ 23:55:50 »
lets reduce the population

I thought perhaps disco69 was volunteering to be deported to a certain sunny Greek island  ;)