Author Topic: Kef airport soon sold?  (Read 86276 times)

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
Kef airport soon sold?
« on: Tuesday, 09 September, 2014 @ 13:45:40 »
The management of fourteen regional airports throughout Greece is set to be sold to private investors in the next two months, according to the Hellenic Republic Asset Development Fund (HRADF) schedule.

The firms will take over the management for a duration of up to 50 years.

By September 30, binding offers from potential investors will be submitted to HRADF.

The first group includes the airports of Thessaloniki, Chania, Corfu, Zakynthos, Kefalonia, Preveza and Kavala.
http://www.balkaneu.com/greece-set-privatize-fourteen-regional-airports-2014/

Offline Mediterranean Man

• Gold Medalist
Re: Kef airport soon sold?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, 10 September, 2014 @ 11:24:53 »
Seems a little ambiguous!
Does the successful applicant get the freehold or leasehold on this sale?
Either way, there will undoubted be changes to the airport and the services provided.

Offline Aristarches

• Forum Deity
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, 10 September, 2014 @ 15:22:22 »
Look on the Brightside: it can't be any worse.  Can it?

Offline expat

• Forum Deity
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, 10 September, 2014 @ 18:01:44 »
I have to agree, it is run like a pig in a poke!
There was an article in the Kef press describing the airport as a joke, shedloads of tourists in a long line waiting to get checked in, only one scanner working, rip off prices at the shop. I will give you an example, a packet of sweets, cost 2.40 euro, the same sweets in the uk, 5 packets for a nicker!
It cannot get any worse! so, a change may be for the better, who knows, lets hope so.

Offline Bluenose

• Forum Deity
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, 10 September, 2014 @ 18:26:50 »
I do hope they manage to keep a place for the bird who makes the tanoy announcements with a gob full of moussaka. The look of utter bewilderment on various bods faces followed by a communal wot did she say is always good for a laugh as you sit on the floor waiting for your delay to run its course. Stroll on...

Offline Phil

• Silver Medalist
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, 10 September, 2014 @ 18:44:21 »
I have to agree, it is run like a pig in a poke!
There was an article in the Kef press describing the airport as a joke, shedloads of tourists in a long line waiting to get checked in, only one scanner working, rip off prices at the shop. I will give you an example, a packet of sweets, cost 2.40 euro, the same sweets in the uk, 5 packets for a nicker!
It cannot get any worse! so, a change may be for the better, who knows, lets hope so.

Last July (our 18th visit to Kef) we had our best ever experience at the airport, on arrival and before departure.
The fact that we were on a small 140 seater plane and flying with Germania made a massive difference. Also there were no Monarch, TC or Thomson flights within an hour before or after our flights. Our luggage arrived within 5 minutes of us arriving at the terminal, and both suitcases were together on the carousel ...... the escalator was working too!!!
There was plenty of spare seating in the departure lounge despite us waiting outside in the fresh air until most people had gone through security.

However, I must agree about the rip off prices in the shop. I saw a couple spending over €10 for two small glasses of ouzo and about €10 for two cheese pies. They could have bought a 70 cl bottle of ouzo for less than €10 in the duty free shop.

You should have bought your sweets in the duty free?

Offline expat

• Forum Deity
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, 10 September, 2014 @ 20:18:56 »
You should have bought your sweets in the duty free?
No, I live here, so I bring them back from the uk, I like sweets :) The duty free prices are just the same as Kef shops, for cigs and booze (fixed)
Agree about the smaller planes, I use the crop sprayer to Athens, no problems at all, it is a very good experience, Thomson and Thomas cook will ram as many people as possible in departures, and still set off late!

Regarding the bird who makes the tannoy announcements, who taught her English, was it Rene or the policeman? :)

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, 10 September, 2014 @ 23:05:59 »
Oh gosh, yes, it *could* get worse! I've used some tourist airports that make Kef airport seem extremely well organised. Without wishing to get political, privatisation doesn't always lead to higher standards or better service, IMO.

Offline Aristarches

• Forum Deity
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, 11 September, 2014 @ 09:02:39 »
Oh gosh, yes, it *could* get worse! I've used some tourist airports that make Kef airport seem extremely well organised. Without wishing to get political, privatisation doesn't always lead to higher standards or better service, IMO.

Totally agree.  Did I hear someone say the railways?

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #9 on: Saturday, 11 October, 2014 @ 00:07:13 »
Oct 10 (Reuters) - Greece has received three binding bids from foreign and Greek firms to lease 14 of the country's 39 regional airports under the country's asset sales plan, its privatisation agency HRADF said on Friday.

The deadline for bidding for the airports, which handled about 19.2 million tourists last year, expired at 1600 GMT on Friday.

The privatization agency said it would pick the winner by the end of November.

HRADF officials have said that would-be investors were expected to spend between 250 and 300 million euros (126 million US dollar) to upgrade the airports.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/10/10/greece-airport-idUSL6N0S50ZA20141010

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #10 on: Friday, 21 November, 2014 @ 15:34:22 »
According to the Hellenic Republic Asset Development Fund... the tendering of 14 regional airports to the private sector is in the final stage. The contracts call for a total of 250 million euros΄ worth of investments within the first four years. Tenders for both technical and financial aspects - being opened Monday and Tuesday respectively - have been submitted by the consortiums Vinci Airports SAS-Aktor Concessions SA; Fraport AG-Slentel Ltd; Casa (Corporation America SA)-Metka SA.

Technical bids have been submitted for the airports of Thessaloniki, Corfu (Kerkyra), Chania, Cephalonia, Zakynthos, Aktio and Kavala. Tuesday΄s bids include the airports of the islands of Rhodes, Kos, Samos, Mytilini, Mykonos, Santorini and Skiathos.

Contracts will run to 40 years and investments related to upgrading and refurbishing of existing facilities must be completed within 20 months of the start date, while new projects and expansions must be completed in 48 months.

Regional airports will charge 14.50 euros per departing passenger until the upgrade projects are completed (13 euros in airport fee and 1.5 for security). After the works are completed, the ceiling for such a fee will be 20 euros per departing passenger, including the security charge.

The current Fee for Airports΄ Upgrading and Growth (known as "Spatosimo" after the location of the international airport), is currently set at 12 euros per departing passenger.
http://english.capital.gr/News.asp?id=2162993

Offline TonyD

• Forum Deity
« Reply #11 on: Friday, 21 November, 2014 @ 15:54:47 »
Regional airports will charge 14.50 euros per departing passenger until the upgrade projects are completed (13 euros in airport fee and 1.5 for security).
After the works are completed, the ceiling for such a fee will be 20 euros per departing passenger, including the security charge.

Er....I'm no economist, so I don't understand the proposed "Spatosimo" arrangement.

As a layman, and as someone who'll be expected to stump up this charge, I'd have thought it more logical, if not more reasonable, to have the higher charge whilst the infrastucture improvements take place (capital costs) then the lower charge once everything was up and running (operating costs)

Yes, I know. It's Greece. ;-)

Offline U4ea

• Forum Deity
« Reply #12 on: Friday, 21 November, 2014 @ 17:14:33 »
How about 12€ to 20€ in one step is a bit much, so it goes to 15€ whilst we suffer the disruption of the upgrades and then to 20€ when we see the alleged benefits of said upgrades?

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #13 on: Friday, 21 November, 2014 @ 17:30:31 »
Er....I'm no economist, so I don't understand the proposed "Spatosimo" arrangement.

Phew! I'm not the only one!!  :pray:

Suspect U4ea's hit the nail on the head. If Kef airport wasn't a bit limited for space I'd suspect the benefits would include more shop units where we could pay outrageous prices for stuff available at less expense locally. As it is benefits could include... pay to park?

Edit: typo
« Last Edit: Tuesday, 25 November, 2014 @ 19:48:41 by Maik »

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, 25 November, 2014 @ 19:53:47 »
FRANKFURT, Germany, November 25, 2014 /PRNewswire/ --

Fraport AG Frankfurt Airport Services Worldwide and its partner Copelouzos Group have been selected as preferred investor for a 40-year operating concession by the Hellenic Republic Assets Development Fund (HRADF) for 14 regional airports in Greece, including Aktio, Chania (Crete), Kavala, Kefalonia, Kerkyra (Corfu), Kos, Mitilini, Mykonos, Rhodes, Samos, Santorini, Skiathos, Thessaloniki - Greece's second largest city - and Zakynthos. Combined, these airports served a total of about 19.1 million passengers in 2013. The total purchase price of 1,234 million euros will be paid by the time of closing, expected in the autumn of 2015. Fraport AG will hold a majority share in the consortium.

About Fraport

Fraport AG - which ranks among the world's leading companies in the global airport business - offers a full range of integrated airport management services and boasts subsidiaries and investments on five continents. Furthermore, Fraport is a competent partner in airport retailing and real estate development.

About Copelouzos

Copelouzos Group plays a leading role in the Greek market and comprises various companies, which are active in the most important business sectors in Greece and internationally.
http://www.virtualpressoffice.com/publicsiteContentFileAccess?fileContentId=1820936

Offline Jolly Roger

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday, 26 November, 2014 @ 18:07:58 »
FRANKFURT, Germany, November 25, 2014 /PRNewswire/ --

Fraport AG Frankfurt Airport Services Worldwide and its partner Copelouzos Group have been selected as preferred investor for a 40-year operating concession by the Hellenic Republic Assets Development Fund (HRADF) for 14 regional airports in Greece, including Aktio, Chania (Crete), Kavala, Kefalonia, Kerkyra (Corfu), Kos, Mitilini, Mykonos, Rhodes, Samos, Santorini, Skiathos, Thessaloniki - Greece's second largest city - and Zakynthos. Combined, these airports served a total of about 19.1 million passengers in 2013. The total purchase price of 1,234 million euros will be paid by the time of closing, expected in the autumn of 2015. Fraport AG will hold a majority share in the consortium.

About Fraport

Fraport AG - which ranks among the world's leading companies in the global airport business - offers a full range of integrated airport management services and boasts subsidiaries and investments on five continents. Furthermore, Fraport is a competent partner in airport retailing and real estate development.

About Copelouzos

Copelouzos Group plays a leading role in the Greek market and comprises various companies, which are active in the most important business sectors in Greece and internationally.
http://www.virtualpressoffice.com/publicsiteContentFileAccess?fileContentId=1820936

Currently, Fraport's international portfolio comprises 11 airports in Germany and around the globe.

http://www.aviationpros.com/news/11782405/fraport-consortium-wins-tender-for-14-greek-regional-airports

How is it that this (German) consortium can buy up all these airports and yet BAA had to sell off a lot of their holdings?

Offline U4ea

• Forum Deity
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday, 26 November, 2014 @ 18:22:26 »
Cos Fuehrer Merkel rules?

Online HiFi

• Forum Deity
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday, 26 November, 2014 @ 18:48:24 »
Because the Brits can fool the Kefs but not the world?

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #18 on: Thursday, 30 July, 2015 @ 00:33:33 »
Whether the deal to buy airports in popular tourist destinations, including Santorini, Mykonos, Corfu and Cephalonia, among others, will be completed is unclear, according to Fraport’s most recent quarterly report issued earlier this month.

The uncertainty unsurprisingly troubles administrative and operational employees at many of these airports. “We don’t know what will happen, or which of us might be affected, since the details and the specifics have not yet been determined,” said an administration official at the airport of the Ionian island of Cephalonia. “No one has said anything, for the time being.  We’re all uneasy.”  The small airport served 400,000 passengers last year.
http://americaprod.aljazeera.com/articles/2015/7/29/greek-fire-sale-privatization-to-prove-more-complicated.html

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #19 on: Thursday, 13 August, 2015 @ 21:19:14 »
Greece will move rapidly to privatise its ports, regional airports and its power grid operator under a memorandum of understanding agreed with its international lenders.
http://www.irishexaminer.com/business/greece-will-rapidly-sell-ports-for-new-aid-347935.html

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday, 18 August, 2015 @ 13:24:21 »
Bit of conflicting news today:

Port, Elliniko, regional airports to be fast-tracked by TAIPED

The Hellenic Republic Asset Development Fund (TAIPED) has said that three major privatization projects and several smaller ones are being fast-tracked by the government. The goal is to set the process in motion by October this year.

The first privatizations involve Piraeus Port Authority (OLP), the Elliniko development project and 14 regional airports.
http://www.ekathimerini.com/200636/article/ekathimerini/business/port-elliniko-regional-airports-to-be-fast-tracked-by-taiped

Government completes privatization of regional airports

The privatization of the 14 regional airports has officially completed, after the Government Council for Economic Policy convened on the 13th of August and approved the transaction, which was subsequently published in the government gazette.

The 14 regional airports included in the deal are those of Thessaloniki, Kerkyra, Chania, Kefalonia, Zakynthos, Aktio, Kavala, Rhodes, Kos, Samos, Mytilene, Myconos, Santorini, and Skiathos.
http://www.tovima.gr/en/article/?aid=730258

Offline BeeTee

• Forum Deity
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday, 18 August, 2015 @ 16:56:13 »
Athens sells to German firm rights to operate 14 regional airports

Greece has agreed to sell to a German company the rights to operate 14 regional airports. The deal is the first in a wave of privatizations the government had until recently opposed but needs to make to qualify for bailout loans.

The decision, which was published in the government gazette overnight Monday to Tuesday, would hand over the airports, including several on popular tourist island destinations, to Fraport AG, which runs Frankfurt Airport among others across the world.

The concession, worth 1.23 billion euros ($1.37 billion), is the first privatization decision taken by the government of Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras, who was elected in January on promises to repeal the conditions of Greece's previous two bailouts.

http://www.ekathimerini.com/200654/article/ekathimerini/business/athens-sells-to-german-firm-rights-to-operate-14-regional-airports

I think this probably repeats some of the stuff Maik posted above.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, 18 August, 2015 @ 16:59:33 by BeeTee »

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday, 18 August, 2015 @ 17:54:02 »
I think this probably repeats some of the stuff Maik posted above.

Yes, looks like Kathimerini has been brought up to speed, now someone just needs to tell TAIPED.
...Oh, they can read it in the media  :iroll:

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday, 18 August, 2015 @ 18:04:30 »
So much for free markets - one operator takes on 14 airports.   :oki:

Tony

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday, 16 September, 2015 @ 16:36:41 »
Quite an interesting article about Corfu airport, much of which probably also applies to Kef, in the
New York Times.