Author Topic: Pet tax?  (Read 6060 times)

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
Pet tax?
« on: Monday, 16 November, 2015 @ 09:40:20 »
Pet owners beware! Govt wants to tax your furry friends

The government’s economic delegation is considering adding pets to its asset declaration in the framework of the modernization of the tax system. This means that pet dogs, cats, canaries, etc. will be included in structural reforms being promoted by the government.

Pet owners may find themselves filing an additional declaration in 2016 as an addendum to the 4th page of their E1 tax declaration as it is believed that pet expenses will give the government a clearer account of people’s financial situation. Pet owners will need to list the breed of their animal and its size so that the government would be able to ascertain the value of the pet as an “asset.”
http://en.protothema.gr/pet-tax/

Offline TonyD

• Forum Deity
Re: Pet tax?
« Reply #1 on: Monday, 16 November, 2015 @ 11:22:21 »
From the little I know, that sounds suspiciously like an expat tax

What's the proposed start date for this tax, 1st April?

Online BeeTee

• Forum Deity
« Reply #2 on: Monday, 16 November, 2015 @ 11:26:43 »
Pet owners beware! Govt wants to tax your furry friends

The government’s economic delegation is considering adding pets to its asset declaration in the framework of the modernization of the tax system. This means that pet dogs, cats, canaries, etc. will be included in structural reforms being promoted by the government.

Pet owners may find themselves filing an additional declaration in 2016 as an addendum to the 4th page of their E1 tax declaration as it is believed that pet expenses will give the government a clearer account of people’s financial situation. Pet owners will need to list the breed of their animal and its size so that the government would be able to ascertain the value of the pet as an “asset.”
http://en.protothema.gr/pet-tax/

More than likely this would mean more animals being abandoned or worse.

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
« Reply #3 on: Monday, 16 November, 2015 @ 12:34:23 »
What wacko dreamt this one up?! Who is going to comply with it.  Over the winter months I suggest expats could happily fill 15 pages or so with stuff like:  "Fido likes his pedigree chum and over the year that's about 250 tins at €1.20 a tin from Lidl making €300, but when we run out we have to get it from the minimarket for €1.50 so probably another 24 tins i.e. €36.  But we also give him scraps so allowing for that probably another €20.  The taverna owner down the road gives him bones most weeks in the season, but we let Yiorgo use our jet washer so I would reckon that would be be about €10.  Now Fifi, she's completely different - won't touch the pedigree chum as she's a poodle crossed with probably Yiorgo's dog, but he's saying she's more like Makis' mutt.... etc etc. And write it in English of course!

Needless to say - completely barking!! :lol:

Tony

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #4 on: Monday, 16 November, 2015 @ 13:05:37 »
Got to wonder whether someone's having a laff (and Yes, I did check today's date!). Like BeeTee says, could lead to more abandoned animals, but who's going to declare their pets on the tax form? And what about strays that people feed, would they count as pets? I can almost imagine an army of EU officials scouring Google Earth for satellite images of houses with a collection of cats outside. Like Tony says, barking.

Looks like there's already been a demo at the G20 meeting:

Cats Nearly Steal The Show Ahead of G20 Meeting In Turkey
They were feline good.

It was the ultimate faux paw.

As President Barack Obama and fellow world leaders prepared to take the stage in Turkey on Sunday they were upstaged by three cats -- and those were just the ones we could see.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/cats-take-center-stage-ahead-of-g20-summit-meeting-in-turkey_5648f245e4b0603773498386

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
« Reply #5 on: Monday, 16 November, 2015 @ 15:06:55 »
Looks like there's already been a demo at the G20 meeting:

Nah - they're Turkish security cats just checking that no Greek cats slipped in!  You can tell by the way they appeared in formation checking right then left.   ;)

Tony