Author Topic: 04/10/14  (Read 2194 times)

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
04/10/14
« on: Saturday, 04 October, 2014 @ 08:17:15 »
The unconscious body of a 25-year-old British man, a crew member on a hired sailing boat, was found floating in Plaka harbour near Leonidio early on Thursday morning. He was taken out of the water by members of the sailing boat crew and rushed to the Leonidio health centre, where doctors pronounced him dead.

Initial signs point to an accident, sources said, but an investigation has been launched by the Leonidio Harbour Station, which has asked for an autopsy to be carried out by a Nafplio coroner.
http://www.hri.org/news/greek/ana/2014/14-10-03.ana.html#59

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
Re: 04/10/14
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, 04 October, 2014 @ 14:13:32 »
A machine which creates untraceable, yet legal, “ghost guns” has sold out in the US.

A libertarian group based in Texas unveiled the product called the Ghost Gunner on Wednesday - a year after they sent shockwaves across the globe by creating a 3D printed gun which could be downloaded online.

The Ghost Gunner consists of a milling machine which connects to a PC to create the lower receiver of an AR-15 rifle, the gun used to kill 26 people in the Sandy Hook Elementary School massacre in 2012.

A receiver is the part of a gun which connects the stock, barrel, magazine and other components which can easily be purchased online - and is therefore highly regulated.

To lawfully manufacture the Ghost Gunner, Defense Distributed have taken advantage of a legal loophole. While it is illegal to sell an untraceable lower receiver, making one is not.

The simple-to-use machine means users require no experience or expertise to produce weapons. More crucially, the method means the guns do not have the serial numbers which are used to trace weapons and are legally required by all commercial manufacturers.
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/ghost-gunner-legal-diy-gun-machine-sells-out-in-the-us-9773894.html

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, 04 October, 2014 @ 14:18:08 »
Refillable printers may spell the end for expensive ink cartridges

I’ve got no idea what the ingredients of printer ink are.

The manufacturing process is a mystery to me, but I know one thing – it must contain some pretty rare liquids.

I’ve got a Canon colour inkjet cartridge in front of me here, containing 9ml of ink which cost me £9.99, ie £5,046 per gallon.

Over the years, printer manufacturers have reduced the amount of ink in each cart while still charging the same price. When competing firms tried to undercut that price, the industry came up with “intelligent” carts and printers that would recognise and reject impostors. Said intelligent carts are also supposed to inform us when the ink has run out, but evidence shows that they’d happily keep printing when “empty” if only the printer permitted them to do so.

Lexmark and Kodak have already quit the home-printer business and now Epson is taking the extraordinary move of selling a new model of inkjet printer at a price that certainly could not be described as “knockdown”: £249. Even more bizarrely, it doesn’t have cartridges; just an ink tank, which Epson has rather generously permitted us to fill with whatever ink we like, not just the £5,046 per gallon stuff that sits on the shelf at PC World.
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/refillable-printers-may-spell-the-end-for-expensive-ink-cartridges-9771338.html

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, 04 October, 2014 @ 16:37:56 »
Trials of people on Zakynthos illegally claiming state benefits for blindness disability due to start in January, 2015. Latest I've heard, over 80% of those claiming weren't blind.

Offline BeeTee

• Forum Deity
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, 04 October, 2014 @ 17:13:34 »
Trials of people on Zakynthos illegally claiming state benefits for blindness disability due to start in January, 2015. Latest I've heard, over 80% of those claiming weren't blind.

I bet with hindsight they wished they hadn't bothered claiming

Offline expat

• Forum Deity
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, 04 October, 2014 @ 19:26:20 »
Did they all own an I pad.

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
« Reply #6 on: Monday, 06 October, 2014 @ 19:22:55 »
Refillable printers may spell the end for expensive ink cartridges

I’ve got no idea what the ingredients of printer ink are.

The manufacturing process is a mystery to me, but I know one thing – it must contain some pretty rare liquids.

I’ve got a Canon colour inkjet cartridge in front of me here, containing 9ml of ink which cost me £9.99, ie £5,046 per gallon.

Over the years, printer manufacturers have reduced the amount of ink in each cart while still charging the same price. When competing firms tried to undercut that price, the industry came up with “intelligent” carts and printers that would recognise and reject impostors. Said intelligent carts are also supposed to inform us when the ink has run out, but evidence shows that they’d happily keep printing when “empty” if only the printer permitted them to do so.

Lexmark and Kodak have already quit the home-printer business and now Epson is taking the extraordinary move of selling a new model of inkjet printer at a price that certainly could not be described as “knockdown”: £249. Even more bizarrely, it doesn’t have cartridges; just an ink tank, which Epson has rather generously permitted us to fill with whatever ink we like, not just the £5,046 per gallon stuff that sits on the shelf at PC World.
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/refillable-printers-may-spell-the-end-for-expensive-ink-cartridges-9771338.html

Check www.inkexpress.co.uk for much cheaper solutions.

Tony

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #7 on: Monday, 06 October, 2014 @ 21:07:05 »
Thanks, Tony. About half price for a refurb cartridge. So only around £2,500 / gallon. Bargain!

Might be worth paying a decent price for a printer and then not paying a fortune for the ink?

Offline TonyKath

• Forum Deity
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, 07 October, 2014 @ 15:40:19 »
I use the the continuous ink system.  Currently from 6 x 200ml = £39.00 inc (ha-ha) delivery.  That works out at £0.29 for 9ml or "only" £147.24 per gallon.  If you were to buy 6 x 1l that would be 1.32 gal. for £125 or £94.69 per gal or £0.19 per 9 ml .  I would imagine that would last the lifetime of most printers, though!

Tony