Author Topic: 14/03/16  (Read 1146 times)

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
14/03/16
« on: Monday, 14 March, 2016 @ 13:49:15 »

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
Re: 14/03/16
« Reply #1 on: Monday, 14 March, 2016 @ 13:52:09 »
Condition of national watchdogs slides from toothless to comatose

Independent regulatory authorities are in a chaotic state in Greece, despite the political system’s apparent consensus for the preservation of the function of some of them considered to have a key role, such as the National Broadcasting Council and the Hellenic Telecommunications and Post Commission (EETT).

Barring a miracle in the next few days, EETT will sink into a coma as it will be unable to perform any of its duties, even for national purposes. Unless the watchdog’s budget is approved in the next two or three weeks, it won’t even be able to pay for fuel for its vehicles to monitor interference with communication systems.
http://www.ekathimerini.com/206923/article/ekathimerini/business/condition-of-national-watchdogs-slides-from-toothless-to-comatose

Offline Maik

• Administrator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #2 on: Monday, 14 March, 2016 @ 20:54:30 »
Elderly couple open up their home to refugees in Greece
At least 14,000 refugees are now living on the Greek border to Macedonia.

An elderly Greek couple have opened up their home to refugees after witnessing the dire conditions at the Idomeni camp located on the border with Macedonia.

“I saw them, they were sick, their lungs full of liquid. He coughs and coughs – what can I say?”

“A week ago two girls came by with eight children, they said they were hungry, I gave them something to eat; they told me they would like to shower so I let them in to shower.

Then a girl came and embraced me. I started to cry and so did my husband.”
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/elderly-couple-open-up-their-home-to-refugees-in-greece-a6930276.html

Just caught a brief snatch on the news, looked like the tents were sitting in flood water.

Offline Bryan-in-Kilkis

• Global Moderator
  • Forum Deity
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, 15 March, 2016 @ 00:43:35 »
Things are diabolically bad at the camps - I can see one of them from where I work.  The refugees are walking around Kilkis too, some looking for accommodation, but can't find any (no-one wants to rent out their flats to them for a short time).  The hotels rooms here are full... of journalists and police.  Bloody ridiculous.